According to notification No. 168 -ILC/OM-34L12017, dated 07.06.2017, the rules of the Student Council are as follows
(l) With effect from the date of effect of these rules, any association or body of students or union in
any college or in any Universrty by whatever name called shall, henceforth, be known as the Students' Council.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained itt any Statutes, Regulations, Ordinances or rules of any
University, for the time being in force, the constitution, duties, functions and procedures of election of the Students' Council shall henceforth, be guided by the provisions of these rules:
Provided that the colleges administered by minorities may adopt their own rules regarding composition and functions of its Students' Council.
(1) The election of Students' Council shall be conducted regularly once in every two years as may be advised by the State Government from time to time, and every such elected Students' Council shall ordinarily have a tenure of two years unless otherwise directed by the State Government.
(2) The Students' Council of colleges and Universities shall not use any banner or emblem of any
political party in any manner during election or campaigning.
(3) Every student contesting in the election as candidate or as class representative shall be identified
by his own name, class or section and roll number and nothing else.
(a) The whole election process, commencing from filing of nomination papers, scrutiny, preparation of electoral rolls of regular students, declaration of name of contesting candidates, election campaign, casting of votes and declaration of results shall be completed within a period not exceeding thirty days:
Provided that the State Government may under exceptional circumstances, extend such period as it may deem necessary considering the local conditions or otherwise of the concerned college or University.
(5) The date and time of election in a college or in a University shall be such as may be specified by the State Government, from time to time:
Provided that the polling and declaration of result shall be done on a single day during the working hours of the institution concerned. Composition of Students' Council of colleges:-
(1) The Students' Council of a college shall consist of the following office bearers and members,
(a) the President, who shall be nominated by the Principal/ Vice Principal/ Teacher-in-charge of the college concerned from amongst the teachers of the College,
(b) the Vice-President- who shall be nominated from amongst the teachers by the Teachers' Council of the College.
(c) the General Secretary- who shall be elected by the elected Class Representatives of all classes from amongst them in the first meeting of the Student's Council,
(d) two Assistant General Secretaries* who shall be elected by the elected Class
Representatives of all classes from amongst them in the first meeting of the Student Union or council,
(e) not more that five Assistant Secretaries to look after various departments or branches like
Cultural Secretary, Welfare Secretary, etc.- who shall be selected by the elected Class Representatives of all classes from amongst them in the first meeting of the Students'
Provided that the number of Assistant Secretaries representing various departments or branches may exceed five considering the various activities of the Students' Council but the total number of Assistant Secretaries shall under no circumstances exceed seven.
(f) the Treasurer- who shall be nominated by the Principal/Vice Principal/ Teacher-in-charge from amongst the teachers of the college in the first meeting of the Students' Council,
(g) elected class representatives of all classes/ sections- member, to be elected by the regular students of individual sections or departments.
(2) The elected class representatives of all classes/ sections/ departments shall be the members of the
Students' Council and shall have power to vote in any meeting of the Council. The President or in his absence, the Vice-President, shall have a casting vote in the event of a tie.
(3) Every meeting of the Students' Council shall ordinarily be convened by the President or in his absence, the Vice-President within the college campus and only after the academic hours.However some amendments were made by the Kolkata Gazette, dated November 16, 2018. For further details, click here * (insert pdf)